Chicken Mechado Recipe
No beef? No problem! The savory mechado is good with chicken too!
Categories : Main Dish, Chicken & Del Monte Tomato Sauce
Culture : Filipino
Preparation Time : 5 min.
Cooking Time : 45 mins.
Serving Size : 5
- 500 g chicken, thigh fillet
- 6 slices bacon, cut into half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, black
- 1 cup onion, red, quartered
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Filipino Style Tomato Sauce (200g)
- 1 cup potato, cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Season the chicken thigh fillet with salt and pepper. Fill each chicken thigh fillet with bacon. Roll then secure with a toothpick.
- In a pot, combine chicken rolls, half of onions, garlic, soy sauce, DEL MONTE Filipino Style Tomato Sauce and potatoes. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a pan, sauté remaining onion. Pour on top of chicken. Serve hot.
This local Chicken Mechado dish provides iron which is essential for normal metabolism. It also has niacin that helps break down nutrients for better use in the body.
Mechado comes from the word "mecha" or "wick of a candle". In cooking, this pertains to placing fat inside a piece of meat so that it does not dry out while cooking. In this case, bacon is used not only to keep the chicken moist but also to add a slight smokey flavor to the dish.
Cooking Skills Needed
Cooking Tools Needed
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups
- Crocheting Thread
- Measuring Spoon