Citrus Pine Mechado Recipe
Add a sweet and tangy flavor to your regular mechado.
Shop your quality Del Monte ingredients at our new Kitchenomics website so you can cook delicious and memorable meals.
Categories : Main Dish, Beef, Del Monte Pineapple & Pinoy Dishes
Culture : Filipino
Preparation Time : 15 min.
Cooking Time : 3 hrs. and 46 mins.
Serving Size : 7
- 250 g beef, chuck/kalitiran (beef round or beef brisket), cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 pc lemon, squeeze the juice and divide into 2, mince the zest
- 2 1/2 Tbsp oil, for browning
- 2 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup garlic, crushed
- 5 pcs Sibuyas Tagalog/shallots cut into half
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black
- 2 pcs bay leaf/laurel leaf
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (200g)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil, for frying
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Pineapple Tidbits (115g), drained, reserve syrup
- 3 Tbsp bell pepper, red, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 Tbsp bell pepper, green, cut into 1-inch squares
- Marinate beef in soy sauce, reserved pineapple syrup and half of lemon juice.
- In a pan, heat the oil then brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- In the same pan, add oil then sauté garlic and shallots over low heat until fragrant. Add browned beef and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and bayleaf.
- Add the DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce and water. Bring to a boil and lower down heat and simmer until meat is tender. In a separate pan, fry sweet potato while simmering the meat.
- When the meat is tender, add the DEL MONTE Pineapple Tidbits, bell peppers, and sweet potato.
- Add remaining lemon juice just before serving and sprinkle with lemon zest.
This Citrus Pine Mechado recipe is source of vitamin A that helps maintain healthy skin and vitamin C which aids in wound healing and helps resist infections.
The reserved syrup is naturally sweet when added to the marinade, it will not only give added flavor but also help in browning the meat as the sugar caramelizes. Be sure to put the heat on medium when frying so that the meat does not burn.
Cooking Skills Needed
Cooking Tools Needed
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon
Please login to post your comment