Classic Callos Recipe
Celebrate our Spanish culinary heritage with this amazing Classic Callos recipe!
Callos is hearty stew popularized during the Spanish occupancy. Made with DEL MONTE Tomato Sauce, a medley of vegetables, and meat, it’s definitely both filling and healthy. Learn how to cook Callos with us today.
Shop your quality Del Monte ingredients at our new Kitchenomics website so you can cook delicious and memorable meals.
Categories : Main Dish, Beef, Del Monte Tomato Sauce & Pinoy Dishes
Culture : Filipino
Preparation Time : 25 min.
Cooking Time : 2 hrs. and 20 mins.
Serving Size : 12
- 1 kg beef tripe, cleaned and sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 Tbsp peppercorn
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pcs bay leaf/laurel leaf
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup onion, red, sliced
- 1/4 cup chorizo de bilbao, sliced
- 1 1/3 cups carrot, sliced
- 2 pouches DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (200g)
- 1 cup garbanzos, cooked
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 2 Tbsp red wine or mompo
- 1 can sausage, vienna (225g), drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, red, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, green, cut into strips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black
- 1/3 cup cheese, grated
- Boil tripe in enough water for 5 minutes to remove the scum. Drain and discard the broth.
- Boil again in 5 cups water with peppercorn, salt, and laurel 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve broth.
- Sauté garlic, onion, tripe, chorizo, and carrot in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce, 1 1/2 to 2 cups broth, and remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese. Allow to simmer until cheese is incorporated.
This dish is high in vitamin A that helps protect one from infections and maintains healthy skin. It also has calcium that helps build bones and teeth and helps keep them strong.
Boiling the tripe for the first time is not meant to cook the tripe. It is meant to blanch the meat and remove any impurities and unpleasant smell from the tripe.
Cooking Skills Needed
Cooking Tools Needed
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon