Classic Mechado Recipe
An old favorite for when you need a hearty meal.
Beef Mechado, also known as Mechadong Baka is the ultimate comfort food for many Filipino families. Here's a classic beef mechado recipe that's easy to cook in your home kitchen! Everyone will love the combination of tender beef and vegetables in a rich and hearty mechado sauce made with Del Monte Tomato Sauce!
Categories : Main Dish, Beef & Del Monte Tomato Sauce
Culture : Filipino
Preparation Time : 15 min.
Cooking Time : 4 hrs. and 15 mins.
Serving Size : 8
FOR THE MARINADE
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp DEL MONTE Red Cane Vinegar (47cl)
- 1/2 tsp peppercorn
- 1 kg beef, round
- 200 g pork fat, cut into 3-inch long strips
- 3 Tbsp oil, for frying
- 5 pcs sibuyas Tagalog/shallots, each piece cut into 2
- 1 pc bay leaf/laurel leaf
- 2 pouches DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (200g)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup bell pepper, red, cut into strips
- 2 cups potato, cut into chunks, and then fried
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Make a hole at the center of the meat. It should be deep enough to insert the pork fat. Marinate in the chiller for 30 minutes.
- Drain the meat but reserve the marinade. Set aside.
- Insert pork fat in the hole, making sure to have 1-2 inch overhang on both ends of the meat.
This classic dish contains iron needed for making red blood cells that carry oxygen around the body. It also has vitamin A that helps resist infections and maintains healthy skin.
When cooking the mechado, turn the meat every 30 minutes to make sure it tenderizes on all sides.
Cooking Skills Needed
Cooking Tools Needed
- Measuring Cups
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Spoon