Fish Escabeche Recipe
Your family will enjoy the saucy taste of Fish Escabeche!
Fish Escabeche (also known as Escabecheng Isda) is the Philippines’ version of a sweet and sour fish recipe. Here we show you how to cook Fish Escabeche the easy way. While our Fish Escabeche recipe may look simple, there’s a depth of flavor and color, thanks to Del Monte Original Style Tomato Sauce.
Categories : Main Dish, Seafood & Del Monte Tomato Sauce
Culture : Filipino
Preparation Time : 10 min.
Cooking Time : 13 mins.
Serving Size : 5
- 1/2 cup oil, for frying
- 500 g dalagang bukid, sliced into 3
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp ginger, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup onion, quartered
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, red, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, green, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar, white
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (115g)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the surface begins to shimmer, lower the fish slowly into the oil. Remember to always lower the food going away from you, not towards you. This minimizes splatter and injuries. Fry fish until cooked through then lay on top of kitchen towels to absorb excess oil. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, sauté ginger, onion, garlic, and bell pepper until fragrant.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add water then season with salt. Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Transfer your Fish Escabeche sauce to your serving dish.
- Place your fried fish on top of the sauce right before serving.
That’s how to cook Fish Escabeche! Done in just 5 simple steps.
This Fish Escabeche recipe is high in protein needed for growth and development, and vitamin C that helps fight common infections.
When frying fish, heat the pan over medium to high heat. Place the fish in the sizzling oil and allow to cook. Do not keep turning the fish to achieve a nice color and also to avoid damaging the skin and delicate flesh. When properly cooked, the fish will release itself from the pan without need to scrape the bottom.