Bicol Express Special Recipe
A regional classic with a flavorful twist!
A popular staple from the Bicol region, Bicol Express is a fiery dish made with gata, bagoong (shrimp paste), and chilies that’s packed full of flavor. Our Bicol Express recipe includes DEL MONTE Tomato Sauce, which gives it that bright red color. Read on to learn how to cook Del Monte Kitchenomics’ Bicol Express Special.
Culture : Filipino
Tagal ng Paghahanda : 10 min.
Tagal ng Pagluluto : 1 hr. and 7 mins.
Serving Size : 7
- 250 g pork, pigue, whole
- 3 cup ng tubig
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (115g)
- 2 pack DEL MONTE Quick 'n Easy Gata Mix (40g), dissolved in 2 cups water
- 3 kutsara ng garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup ng onion, red, sliced
- 2 kutsara ng ginger, cut into strips
- 1 cup ng bagoong alamang, washed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup ng siling haba, sliced diagonally or crosswise (rings)
- 1 can DEL MONTE Pineapple Tidbits (227g), drained, reserve syrup
- Boil pork pigue in water then turn down to simmer, cook until tender. Drain then cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Combine together DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce, DEL MONTE Quick n Easy Gata Mixture, garlic, onion, and ginger in a pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Add bagoong alamang, pineapple syrup, and sili. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir once in a while.
- Add DEL MONTE Pineapple Tidbits. Cook for another 5 minutes.
This local Bicol Express Special dish is high in calcium that is not only good for bone health but also helps in blood clotting. It is also a source of iron needed for making red blood cells that carry oxygen around the body.
Spiciness level will depend on the number and variety of sili used, thus start with less to control the spiciness level, then add more until preferred heat level is reached.